Wednesday

Why have I been staring at a blank page for 20 minutes already?

I'm going to have to get used to staring at blank pages if I actually want to get somewhere in writing. Writers block is literally the worst thing that could happen to a writer on a daily basis. Especially because you know that you can write your ass off -- just not this second, or.. the next, or the next, or the next.
But even writing about how you can't think of what to write, is writing. I forgot what book it was that told me to never stop writing even when you literally can't think of anything else to write. Never lift your hand from that paper until your done. Write the last word you wrote, over and over again until you write about how your tired of writing that word so many times. When you start to talk nonsense about how you don't know what to write, your writer instincts jump in and handle the whole situation.
By the way, that short story for Sci-Fi I mentioned before, is a nightmare.
First off, I couldn't even figure out how to write a short story and had to look it up. The first website I checked said, "If you've never read a short story before, you're probably going to have a difficult time writing one". I found that hysterical considering the fact that I actually never have read a short story and that's probably why I'm finding this task difficult. I decided to look some up on Google and it turns out there's a whole website based on the short stories of the web. 
I ended up reading one about a guy who locked himself out of his apartment with his baby inside which was ironically in the "humor" category. Well, it wasn't that ironic since there was kind of a funny ending. But I got the gist of how to write a short story and now my only challenge was imitating Cormac McCarthy's writing style.
I really couldn't fathom how to write in his style while also not talking about being in a post apocalyptic situation until I read some samples that other students wrote. I just don't like how I have a perfect opportunity to show someone my writing skills but have to struggle to imitate someone else's.

I hope your day was as great as mine was. Today, Adrian and I went to Bedford ave. in Brooklyn where our apartment is awaiting for our arrival. We checked out the area like we usually do just to get comfortable with our soon to be neighborhood. We found a place where I can set up a small shop for my jewelry in "The Brooklyn Market" or something like that. Then we found a place that sells the supplies I need for my jewelry! Everything just worked out perfect today.
Tomorrow I have a photo shoot by Pier 61 just to build my modeling portfolio. It's an "urban skateboarder lifestyle" kind of shoot which I found to be perfect for me.

I'm going to leave off with a quote from Anne Lamott's book Bird by Bird that will have me writing for the rest of my life:
"If something inside you is real, we will probably find it interesting, and it will probably be universal"
And that's what writing is about.
Have a good night.
                                                                                                     -Natalia
                                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

RELOCATING TO WORDPRESS

So as you can see, this page has a new layout as well as domain! Well, it didn't turn out so well.  With my prior experience in...